Seminole County officials are warning the public of the dangers of overheated lithium-ion batteries after multiple trailers owned by the county were destroyed recently.
In December, four solid waste trailers at the Seminole County Central Transfer Station caught fire after a group of lithium-ion batteries overheated.
Video released by the Seminole County Fire Department shows the moment a fire breaks out at the facility, which is located at 1950 SR 419 in Longwood.
According to officials, the four trailers that were destroyed were removed from service and will cost approximately $468,000 to replace.
The batteries are similar to those found in cell phones and electronics and are extremely flammable. Officials advise the public to avoid throwing out those types of devices and their batteries in regular household trash.
“If you need to dispose of a rechargeable battery, bring it to the Household Hazardous Waste at the Central Transfer Station for free and safe disposal,” reads a statement from Seminole County officials.
The Central Transfer Station is open Monday through Saturday, from 7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. For more information on the station or other solid waste services, visit the Seminole County Waste Services website.